Thursday, February 21, 2008

Private Speech

There was an interesting article on NPR this morning, relating imaginative play and executive function development in children. The gist of the article related to declining executive function due to the increase in structural play for children. One concept of the article caught my ear, the concept of private speech. I have always wondered about the function of the "voice in your head", and always thought it a little odd on my part. I have conversations with myself related to problem solving, planning for contentious meetings, rehearsing speeches, etc. This voice or private speech can be the greatest critic, but helps you think clearly through problems and issues yourself.

In relation to the NPR article, I also believe that, in adults as opposed to children, the lack of free time or down time creates a void in the ability for this private speech to be heard. My own experience is that this private speech is best heard when there is a length of time to hear it. A chance to debrief and detox from a meeting or tough day is essential to letting this voice help sort through all the issues and develop plans for success. The lack of time to do this leads to stress, less effective sleep and less effective solutions.

No comments: