Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Car Wash Factor


I have a new thought on an metric, to monitor the health of the American consumer discretionary spending, The Car Wash Factor. Related to an earlier post on customer service, I was filling up my car and getting a car wash. The weekend day was absolutely beautiful, with sunny spring skies, 70 degrees, light wind. In the past two springs, the car wash at Wiegels (Ebenezer and Northshore) would have been packed two and three cars deep, waiting for entry into what is not a cheap car wash. There was not another car in site headed to the car wash. It caused me to notice, as I made several errand runs throughout the day, that there were never any cars in the car wash line.

Bernanke and the Federal Reserve can start monitoring car wash spending any day now.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good observation. It hadn't occurred to me until I read your post, but two other folks made reference to me about the dead car wash weekend.