Thursday, May 15, 2008

Starbucks v Panera

I know that piling on Starbucks has become somewhat of an art-form lately, but wanted to add my two cents worth. As I drove from a client site today, I craved coffee and had a few minutes to kill. I thought Starbucks, but immediately thought, "No, Panera's". I analyzed my thoughts and feelings. I like Starbucks coffee better, they have a greater selection, and service is good. It comes down simply to habits created by one factor, free internet access. When I have an hour or more free, but it is inconvenient to return to the office, I always find myself at Panera's. They welcome you simply buying a cup of coffee and going on-line. No one looks at you with laser-eyes; no problems. This has simply created the habit that Panera supersedes Starbucks.

I know that Starbucks made a crucial decision that they did not want people simply sitting and working. They wanted to create an atmosphere of the Italian coffee bar, with friends sharing cups of espresso and talking (and hopefully buying more coffee or leaving). Nevertheless, with this crucial decision, they now find themselves second on the list when I think of a quick place to go.

No comments: