Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Delta customer service has degraded

I know, I know. This is a sad, old story. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to note how far Delta's customer service has fallen, as experienced by this one person. I used to love Delta Air Lines. My skyMiles account was active, my calling experience was good, reservations were easy. My experience today is markedly different.

I admit that I had a problem somewhat out of the norm. I had allowed myself to be bumped on a flight, and obtained a voucher for a future ticket purchase. In the meantime, Delta had instituted a new program called "Pay with Miles", which allowed a person to cash in 10,000 miles for $100 off a ticket. I wanted to book a ticket, use my voucher, pay with miles for $300 worth, then pay the remaining fee with a credit card. I can execute this type of transaction at Krogers (with gift cards and coupons), at gas stations, everywhere.

When I tried to perform this transaction online, no dice. There was nowhere to enter the voucher number. Cancelled transaction attempt 1. I called the 800 number for the skyMiles account and tried again. I was told that I can only use "Pay with Miles" online. I indicated my problem, then I was routed to India for "Online support help". I was told there that I could not execute this type of transaction. I asked to be connected with a supervisor. I was refused point-blank. Cancelled transaction attempt 2. I then called the non-skyMiles account phone number, to make the reservation. I again attempted to make the transactions, and they indicated that they would have to route me to the "Online support help". I refused, then asked to be transferred to a supervisor. Again, a refusal, but more polite. I indicated that I needed to book the ticket, afraid of a fare increase, so only used the voucher and my credit card. At the end of the call, I asked if there was an ombudsman or a number I could call to try to get this issue resolved. Sent online, where no immediate link was available. Failed transaction attempt 3. I had a ticket, now, but it cost $300 more than desired.

I called back today and asked the skyMiles assistant for help again. Again, I was routed to India. This time, though, I got through to an agent who indicated that I could execute the exact transaction which I wanted to execute. I told him, though, that I had already booked the ticket, and wished simply to have $300 credited to my credit card, and the miles subtracted. He indicated, after reported consultation with a supervisor, that I could cancel the existing reservation, but that the voucher had already been used and could not be used on this transaction, even though Delta led me astray. After five more minutes of polite, but firm insistence of this point, though, I got nowhere. Failed transaction attempt 4.

I dislike that several different Delta employees or representatives gave different answers. I dislike that I was actually able to execute the type of transaction, but was refused. I dislike that I had to pay $300 more for a ticket than needed or planned. I dislike the fact that my relationship with Delta has degraded so significantly. I truly hope that they can solve the problem of good customer service and still remain profitable. I do not believe this is impossible.

Rant over. I am not alone, though.....

here, here, here, here, here.....

No comments: